Great cities provide outstanding quality of life amenities, including opportunities for recreation and experiencing nature. Additionally, Houstonians increasingly support environmental responsibility and desire clean air and water. The City should pursue opportunities to provide open space, conserve resources and protect the environment.
- Preserve open space for recreation, habitat, and other uses.
- Maintain a comprehensive plan for acquiring, developing and maintaining parks and open space.
- Encourage reduced consumption of natural resources.
- Support recycling throughout the city.
- Expand education for waste management and conservation programs.
- Encourage green building and sustainable energy practices.
- Limit the City’s impact on the environment.
- Preserve and enhance the public tree canopy.
- Adopt policies and coordinate with partner organizations to improve air and water quality.
- Inviting and accessible parks and public spaces that provide recreation experiences, respect the environment, and connect people and places
- Beautiful streetscapes and public spaces
- Efficient use and reuse, and conservation of resources
- Clean, plentiful, and accessible water, air, land, and food resources
- Resilient man-made and natural systems that protect citizens and assets from disasters and other risks